Today updates were posted to my family tree on RootsWeb WorldConnect and to my New Zealand Genealogy Project website. Previous updates were in June 2013. Recovery from recent surgery delayed these changes being completed and posted.
Family Tree Changes
Changes to the family tree file that is on RootsWeb WorldConnect on Tuesday 29 October 2013 include:
New GEDCOM uploaded to RootsWeb (15,702 people, 5,157 families).
Over 200 missing New Zealand birth dates added for the period 1875 to 1913 – source NZ BDM site. NZ BDM site was searched to add day and month of birth to year or approximate year of birth.
I am interested in the demographics of who is visiting my family tree on Rootsweb WorldConnect. What country, city are visitors from? What pages are looked at most often?
After a few unsuccessful attempts, I have now managed to set up tracking so I can answer these questions, and others. I use Google Analytics.
There are two parts to the setup.
In Google Analytics you need to define the default URL – I used wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com. This refers to the whole WorldConnect site, but only your family tree pages will send tracking codes. You copy the tracking code from Google Analytics for insertion in web pages displaying your family tree.
You then need to log into Rootsweb, open your account page, and under Worldconnect Tree ID select Edit. Click on the tree you want to track (in my case chris_korte), then click on Display Options under Tree Settings. I pasted the tracking code from Google Analytics into the Page Footer. Due to restrictions on string length for the page footer, I needed to remove the existing footer. Before pasting, I also edited the tracking code in notepad to remove formatting spaces and carriage returns – I made one line of text.
So far this has tracked visitors for a few hours successfully. When it has run for longer I will update on what has worked and what has not.
I have been able to see number of visitors, pageviews, visit duration, audience details, traffic sources and content. These are the normal statistics that Analytics reports. In-Page Analytics can not be reported, but this is not a concern to me.
I presume the tracking code can be inserted in other parts of the WorldConnect page, but I have not tried.
Google Analytics reports that “The Google Analytics tracking code has not been detected on your website’s home page.” This is because Rootsweb WorldConnect does not allow users to alter the home page.
Google Analytics says “For Analytics to function, you or your web administrator must add the code to each page of your website.” Because the footer is displayed whenever my tree is displayed, the tracking code will report all instances of my tree being viewed.
The Site visitors page was updated using visitor data from Google Analytics. Information for three calendar years is included in the report. The number of visitors increased in 2012 compared with 2010 and 2011. In 2012 there were over 190 visits per month by visitors who looked at the site, each looking at 3-4 pages on average per visit (these were the “non-bounce” visits).
A new page added with information about Awatuna in Taranaki was added to the site. Awatuna is the district where the Korte family settled in Taranaki, cleared the forest, and dairy farmed. The purpose of the page is to provide some photos and history on the settlement, now almost gone.
Details of Thomas McLAREN (1862-1958) have been updated, following research showing that his brothers emigrated from Ireland several years before him (instead of all traveling to New Zealand together).
A new page was added to the site giving details of Clipbush Barn, Abergavenny Farm, Scoulton – a farm building converted into a residence. When I visited Abergavenny Farm in 2005 the barn was derelict, but it has since been fenced off and converted into a modern residence.
Another change to the site has been to better enable it for mobile devices like the iphone and ipad. To achieve this three templates are used for layout. For iphones, tap on the text to expand to screen width – the layout is affected by a rootsweb header that cannot be reduced in size to match the screen size.
The Site visitors page was updated with addition of 2011 visitor data from Google Analytics.The pattern of use was very similar in 2011 to the previous year with almost 6,000 visits during the year. There were over 170 visits per month by visitors who looked at the site, each looking at 3-4 pages on average per visit (these are the “non-bounce” visits).All pages on the site were updated to remove the ticker below the menu. The ticker had listed recent updates to the site, but these are now posted to this Blog site and can be seen on the Home page. Special software was required to update the ticker and it was easier to post updates from this site.